West Haddon, Northamptonshire, England
All Saints' Church in West Haddon
West Haddon is a village in W central Northamptonshire, 10 miles NW of Northampton on the road to Rugby (the A428). The village was a medieval market town in the Domesday hundred of Alwardsley and clusters around a crossroads on high ground in the hilly landscape, with the church at its centre and the hall site to the S. The nave is tall, with a big Perpendicular clerestorey and aisles with three-bay 13thc. arcades. There are doorways to N and S, the latter 13thc., under an 18thc. porch. The chancel has a 13thc. piscina and a small 13thc. lancet in the S wall, but the E end is Perpendicular. There is a vestry on the N side. The W tower dates from the 14thc. and had a spire which was taken down in 1648. All Saints' contains an important 12thc. font with figure scenes.
The Worcester Family
Last modified: March 05, 2019