The Worcester Miscellany
No. 1239 Fulton Farwell Worcester
History of Greene and Jersey Counties, Illinois - 1885
Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Co.
The first dealer in lumber in the town of White Hall was L. E. Worcester, who established a yard here about the year 1854. He operated for some time, sometimes alone, sometimes with a partner, until the firm became Cochrane & Worcester. These parties were succeeded by L. E. Worcester & Co., in 1873. In 1885, the present proprietor, F. F. Worcester, became the sole owner. He carries a stock of about $4,000, including lumber, salt, paint, etc., and is doing a handsome business.
FULTON F. WORCESTER, a prosperous lumber merchant of this city, whose business is located near the C. & A. depot, was born at West Windsor, Vt., Aug. 22, 1847. He is a son of Alfred and Mary (Farwell) Worcester, natives of Vermont. IN 1865, they removed from that state to Illinois, locating in White Hall, where they spent the remainder of their days. Mr. Worcester dying July 4, 1885, and Mrs. Worcester in 1880. Fulton F. was educated in the common schools of Vermont, and after removing to Illinois, learned the trade of a carpenter. He was engaged at that trade about seven years, and then entered into partnership with L. E. Worcester, in the lumber business. This firm continued until Jan. 1, 1885, when L. E. sold out his interest to F. F., who has since conducted it alone. In Feb., 1872, Mr. Worcester was united in marriage with Amanda White, daughter of Alfred and Elizabeth (Hubbard) White, the former a native of Ohio, the latter of Kentucky. They are now residents of White Hall. Mr. and Mrs. Worcester are the parents of two bright children - Alfred W. and Mary Elizabeth. Mrs. Worcester is a member of the M. E. church. Mr. Worcester is a member of White Hall lodge No. 80, A.F. & A.M. He is a live, honorable business gentleman, and well deserves the success with which he has met, thus far in life.